Picton Concert - Performers' Reactions
There will be many
postings about the “From Picton to the World: Bringing Home the Music of Gena
Branscombe” concert which took place Saturday, August 15 at the Picton United
Church.
“Earlier today, I had
the honour of taking part in a very special concert celebrating the music of
Canadian-American composer **Gena Branscombe** in Picton, Ontario.
This is a truly
worthwhile project to support. Beyond restoring the music of women composers
like Gena Branscombe, the organization also provides scholarships and bursaries
that encourage the next generation of musicians and artists. Now more than
ever, we need the arts to enrich our communities and our lives.
#BringingBackBranscombe
Michael’s mother, Gail Faulkner, posted three times on Facebook (this is one of her comments) - “Yesterday my son, Michael Faulkner was in a concert at Picton United Church
celebrating the music of Canadian/American Composer, Gena Branscombe. Many of her works have been published by a colleague of Michael's, Eleanor Gummer. He is singing a song called Over Dreaming Children here. The whole concert was AMAZING! Piano, violin, solo duet, opera, quartet and audience! I am so proud of my boy!” #BringingBackBranscombe
Collaborative pianist Ellen Meyer emailed her thoughts:
“I want to thank you and the
entire Branscombe team for all of your hard work in organising this concert as
well as the post- concert reception. It was truly a privilege to be part of
your project. The earworms were slow to vacate my brain, as the songs and
sonata were so tuneful. I'll be promoting them to my colleagues as they deserve
to be better known.”
“I wanted to thank you so much for yesterday’s wonderful concert. I realize that (as Dan said) you didn’t give me this opportunity, but without your vision of bringing Gena home, none of this would have happened, so thank you! I’ve really enjoyed working through her music these past two weeks and exploring not only her repertoire but her entire history. It is so important to bring back these unsung (literally) composers and show off Canadian music.”
#BringingBackBranscombe





Comments
Post a Comment